Android Job Description Template
An Android™ developer crafts apps for devices (mostly phones and tablets) running the Android operating system. Due to a fragmented device landscape, rapidly changing ecosystem and the fast pace Google has shown in adopting new visual design languages and technical architectures Android developers need to have special knowledge that sets them apart from other Java developers. They require extensive programming and design knowledge and experience with Android's support libraries and general ecosystem.
An Android developer crafts apps for devices (mostly phones and tablets) running the Android operating system. Due to a fragmented device landscape, rapidly changing ecosystem and the fast pace Google has shown in adopting new visual design languages and technical architectures Android developers need to have special knowledge that sets them apart from other Java developers. They require extensive programming and design knowledge and experience with Android's support libraries and general ecosystem.
With an Android developer job advertisement you need to specify the technologies you are using on your project as a generic description will more likely attract developers with a variety of backgrounds. You need to emphasise your specific needs and pinpoint what qualities you are particularly looking in an Android Developer.
This job post will help you write a specific Android developer description and make sure that the talent pool you are drawing from aligns well with your business needs.
[Start your job description with a convincing and engaging pitch of of your company. Let the candidate know about your mission, working culture, perks and benefits (like opportunities to work remote) and your corporate social responsibilitiy activities. Extra tip: If you are hiring into an existing team, include an "Meet your new team" section that introducces the team your new hire would join, inlucding it's role within the company, and the team's working style.]
We are looking for an Android developer responsible for the development and maintenance of applications aimed at a large, diverse user base. Your primary focus will be the development of Android applications and their integration with back-end APIs. You will be collaborating with engineers and developers working on different layers of the project infrastructure and designers who deliver high-fidelity visual and product designs. Therefore, commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design and creating quality products is essential.
- Develop android applications from scratch, improve on existing apps and implement new features
- Turn visual designs, wireframes and user stories into high quality code
- Profile apps and fix performance and battery issues
- Create responsive applications
- Collaborate with UI designers, iOS & web developers and product/project managers
- Collaborate with team members to uphold and improve standards, code quality and toolsets
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Strong knowledge of the Android SDK, Jetpack, Java, and working across platform versions and form factors
- If your project uses Kotlin (most will) or plans to add "Strong familiarity with writing idiomatic Kotlin code"
- Hands-on knowledge of the Android development ecosystem (mention additional libraries you use, like RxJava, okhttp, Retrofit, Butterknife, Dagger, ...)
- Strong knowledge of Android / Material UI design principles and best practices
- Understanding of concurrency, performance measurement and tuning, caching and offline storage and the Android app lifecycle
- Strong understanding of integrating with back-end data sources like REST APIs and cloud messaging services
- Understanding of the full mobile development life cycle
- Knowledge of accessibility, security and user authentication
- Experience with setting up and deploying staging/production environments
- Ability to translate business requirements and data into technical requirements and code
- Unit testing and debugging skills
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Add other frameworks, libraries and technologies relevant to your business
- Add qualification requirements